Formative Assessment: Target Plan

*Updated Dec. 31, 2014


Many forms of instruction happen throughout our day in the classroom. Such instructions include: whole class, small group, and individual. All three are important and have a place in our classroom structure. What we need to remember, is how to use each to maximize student learning.

Targeting student need and adjusting instruction (using formative assessment) to support those needs creates optimal learning. This happens when we are able to asses student learning, scaffold (this can mean supporting students who are having difficulty understanding the concepts or including enrichment for those who are not), allowing group/peer  practice, and then requiring independent work. 

Today, I'm going to focus on "targeting instruction." When I'm planning for instruction I ask myself the following  questions. 

Where are these students on the literacy learning spectrum and what do they need to continue making progress and instill literacy learning concepts to their life?

After doing some reflecting on this question, I like to create questions that cause my students to reflect where they are, where they want to be and what this learning means for them. This can be done with with all students, including my kindergarten kiddos (more on that in another post)

What have we learned so far and do we need to review any concepts before we continue? 

How are we going to learn this? 

What goals can we set before, during and after learning?

How will we assess learning? Using both summative and formative assessment.

If your like me and you need to write things down to really reflect and observe I've created these handy little cheat sheets that your welcome to use to for your instructional planning. 




Comments

Popular Posts