Project Based Learning as Intervention?

In the past couple of years I've been in search of becoming a better intervention teacher. I've been on a quest to find the best way to track needs, address needs, and to share differentiated instruction in the classroom.

After much, blood, sweat and tears (seriously, I should've bought stock in Puffs), I think I'm ready to start the journey. I know, you thought I was going to tell you this is the way it must be done. This program is a 100% guarantee that all learners will learn and this is how you do it... wrong ~ this is where some tears may be shed~ There is no, one way, one program fits all fix. I wish I could say I'm sorry but after much of my own grappling (rolling on the ground kicking and screaming) with this concept ~ I surrendered.

In that moment, I accepted that I may never know all the answers. That is not my job. My job is to know each learner, to understand literacy well enough that I can adjust what I think should be taught to what each reader really needs. I was going to have to surrender my control over the learning enviroment and set up an environment that my students are telling me they need. All truth be told, the concepts I feel are important in this time and moment will probably be obsolete in the next 5-10 yrs. Education needs to shift from context teaching to process learning.

I will hop off the soap box now... I hope you follow this journey with me as I explore what research says about what literacy learning looks like and how I'm going to attempt to assess, track, and offer opportunities for all learners to learn and grow.

Comments

Popular Posts